Welcome To The Rubenstein Hotel on St. Charles Avenue

The Rubenstein family, renowned for their century-old men’s clothing store located on the iconic corner of Canal St. and St. Charles Avenue, is proud to announce a new endeavor that will further enrich New Orleans’ hospitality landscape. In partnership with Joe Jaeger, owner of the J Collection Hotels and Development, the family transformed the upper floors of six historic buildings into a 40-room boutique hotel named the Rubenstein Hotel on St. Charles Avenue.

 

Special offers

Best Rate

10%

AAA Members get 10% off Best Available Rate

Available Rate

15%

Advance Purchase 15% off Best Available Rate – NONREFUNDABLE

Amenities

amenities-new

Discover

discover-new
Capture
old-hotel

OUR HISTORY

April 12, 1929

It was the beginning of the depression and Morris Rubenstein wanted to get married. His future father-in-law would only let him marry his daughter if he had a job.  Since there were no jobs available, Morris decided to use his knowledge from the family dry goods business on Rampart St. and opened a haberdashery store selling shirts, ties, separate collars etc. to fashionable young men. After sales and COD payables, the first day ended with 47 cents net profit- not including salaries. Shortly thereafter, as the business grew and the need for financial and additional personnel became necessary, his brothers, Elkin and Sam, joined the business. 

The Madison Shop Bar

BAR HOURS:
Wednesday – Saturday (4.00 PM – 10.00 PM)

PRESS RELEASE

The Rubenstein Family, in Collaboration with the...

The Rubenstein family, renowned for their century-old men’s clothing store located on…

The Rubenstein Hotel, in Collaboration with J...

The Rubenstein family, renowned for their century-old men’s clothing store located on…

April 12, 1929

It was the beginning of the depression and Morris Rubenstein wanted to get married. His future father-in-law would only let him marry his daughter if he had a job. Since there were no jobs available, Morris decided to use his knowledge from the family dry goods business on Rampart St. and opened a haberdashery store selling shirts, ties, separate collars etc. to fashionable young men. After sales and COD payables, the first day ended with 47 cents net profit-not including salaries. Shortly thereafter, as the business grew and the need for financial and additional personnel became necessary, his brothers, Elkin and Sam, joined the business. The business continued to grow and in each of the years 1925, 1927 and 1929 they added additional retail space.   

In the ‘30s during the depression, business turned down and they had to approach the landlord either to reduce the rent or they would go out of business. As is the business acumen of today, the landlord, knowing his tenants would be successful in the future, said he would rather reduce the rent and keep them rather than have an empty store. This enabled them to continue the business through the depression. As the country came out of the depression and the business prospered, they were able to buy the real estate including the corner building from the property owner, Abe Minus.

The renovation of the expanded store was completed and the announcement for the grand opening appeared in a separate roto gravure section of The Times-Picayune on Dec 7, 1941. However, the business survived the war by adding ladies, and because there was not enough product to sustain the business six days a week, closed on Saturdays. When the war ended, they sent out a notice to all of the young men they knew who were in the service inviting them to come in and get a white shirt (which was in short supply but de rigueur for the businessman) and charge it on their newly established Rubensteins credit account. As these young men grew into successful businessmen, they became the major source of business which allowed Rubenstein Bros. to compete successfully against the old established stores such as Godchaux, Porters, Stevens and Co. and Marks Isaacs. 

The business continued to prosper and in the late ‘50s and early ‘60s, as young New Orleans men were going up east to college, they added the Madison Shop on the second floor to serve those traditional young men. At the same time, Andre and David, Elkin’s sons were finishing college and joined the business to run that operation. The business continued to grow and in the early ‘70s, the hippie revolution came online. Young sons started to wear blue jeans, and the second generation started the All American Jeans division.  In the mid-70s, when the Plaza Shopping Center in Lake Forest opened, the Rubenstein family opened a major store in that shopping center. The business continued to grow and in the ‘80s when Lakeside Shopping Center was expanded, they established a third branch to serve the Metairie clientele. 

In the 90s, Kenny and Mark Rubenstein joined the business as well as Andre and David’s wives Robbie and Niki. In the late 90s, with the Plaza shopping center declining in sales, the Rubensteins decided to take the opportunity to re-invest and expand the downtown real estate which they owned. The decision was made to close the Lakeside store and make capital improvements on Canal St. with the addition of ladies wear. The business continued to grow and in 2000, Hilary and Allison, David’s children also entered the business. With the addition of the third generation and ladies’ department, a decision was made to change the name of the store back to Rubensteins which is the name under which the original store opened. 

The Rubenstein family has been fortunate in operating a family business for 85 years involving three generations and are committed to helping New Orleans become a better place for future generations to live and work. There was never a moment’s hesitation to re-open our business in downtown New Orleans. On October 18, 2005, the store was re-opened without the expectation of significant business but with the intent of delivering the message that our city was re-opening for business and would survive the Katrina disaster. We have continued to be blessed by the support of our citizens.

The Rubensteins recently completed extensive renovations to the first floor and was named the first annual Independent Retailer of the Year by the Daily News Record, a New York based publication for the men’s apparel industry.

Previous
Next
Previous
Next